This may sound like a simple chore, but there are quite a few factors to take into consideration.
Who will be using the faucet? Your kids, Grandma and Grandpa? Should you get a single handle faucet or a two handle faucet?
- Single handle faucets are easier for little hands and arthritic hands to use.
- Single handle faucets have less moving parts to fail, so less water leaks.
- Single handled faucets are stylish and modern looking.
- Double handled faucets give you better water temperature control and therefore are less likely to cause accidental scalding.
- Double handled faucets give you better water flow control.
- Double handled faucets can be more stylish than single handled faucets.
How will the faucet be used? Will the kids be filling up cups with water at night?
- High spout bathroom faucets have room to wash hands and for water cups to fit underneath.
- High spout bathroom faucets may cause water to splash back on the sink and mirror.
- Low spout bathroom faucets may keep splash back and cleaning to minimum.
What is the style of the bathroom?
- Double handled faucets come in a variety of styles and finishes.
- Single handled faucets have modern and sleek styling.
What is the most durable faucet?
- Brass is the best metal to make faucets from. Most of the highest quality faucets are made from solid brass.
- Compression valve faucets – These have a screw type mechanism with rubber washers to stop the flow of water. These faucets wear easily and require more maintenance than the other types of faucets.
- Ball valves – Single handled faucets use these valves to mix the hot and cold water.
- Cartridge valve – These have two “sleeves” that fit into each other to restrict the flow of water. They have seals that can wear out and need replacement.
- Ceramic disc faucet valves – The 2 ceramic discs control the flow of water. These are the most durable and longest lasting types of faucets.
What color and type of finish do you want?
- PVD finish – This is the most durable and scratch resistant type of finish. This finish comes in several colors, stainless steel, brass and nickel to name a few.
- Plating – This is usually chrome plating over brass. This finish is durable and long lasting.
- ‘Hand rubbed bronze’ or ‘oil rubbed bronze’ – These don’t have any type of protective sealant and will age and develop a patina.
- Darker finishes can show spots and finish residue.
How large is your sink? Make sure that your sink and faucet are in proportion to each other.
Do you need an ADA compliant faucet? These are single handled faucets which don’t require you to grasp or twist the faucet. These types of faucets are great for small children and people with arthritis.